Thursday, September 5, 2024

Why I Don’t Frequent Businesses that Fly Pride Flags and Don’t Like to Be Around Liberals in General

Why I Don’t Frequent Businesses that Fly Pride Flags and Don’t Like to Be Around Liberals in General

By Bobby Darvish

As an Iranian-American ex-Muslim who has embraced Christianity and the teachings of the LDS Church, I live by a set of principles rooted in faith, family, and freedom. Over the years, I’ve come to realize that many of the values I hold dear are under constant assault from the increasingly aggressive liberal agenda in America. One manifestation of this is the omnipresence of the rainbow Pride flag, which has become a symbol of cultural and political movements that I cannot, in good conscience, support.

To some, the Pride flag represents tolerance and equality. But to me, it represents something entirely different: the promotion of values and ideologies that are not just at odds with my Christian faith but actively hostile to it. This is why I’ve made the conscious decision not to frequent businesses that display Pride flags, and it’s also why I generally avoid spending my time around liberals who, by and large, champion these very ideologies.

A Culture War on Christian Values

Liberalism today, especially in its most radical forms, is not simply about political differences—it’s about moral and spiritual differences. Many liberal ideologies, such as the LGBTQ+ movement and its associated pride symbols, run counter to what I believe are God’s laws. The scriptures are clear on matters of sexuality. For instance, in Romans 1:26-27, the Apostle Paul describes homosexual acts as unnatural and contrary to God's design for human relationships. As a Christian who believes in the truth of these teachings, I cannot support businesses that outwardly endorse ideologies promoting such lifestyles. To patronize these businesses would be, in my view, a compromise of my faith.

The LGBTQ+ Agenda and Its Impact on Society

The Pride movement is not just about advocating for individual rights; it’s about reshaping society’s entire understanding of family, gender, and morality. This movement aggressively pushes for the normalization of behaviors that scripture and natural law both deem harmful. The Prophet Thomas S. Monson once taught that, “We cannot allow ourselves to become ‘of the world’ by adopting the sinful ways of those around us” (Monson, 2008). Supporting businesses that fly the Pride flag, in my view, is a step toward adopting those very sinful ways.

There is also a deeper cultural issue at play here. The Pride flag is now a symbol of a broader effort to marginalize Christians and conservative values. Businesses that display the flag often participate in “cancel culture,” a phenomenon where those who hold traditional views, particularly Christians, are ostracized or punished for not conforming to the liberal agenda. By refusing to frequent these establishments, I am making a small but important stand for my values.

The Liberal Hypocrisy and its Incompatibility with My Values

As a former Muslim, I’ve seen firsthand how ideology can be weaponized to suppress dissent and silence opposition. Today, liberals in America have weaponized their values in much the same way. They speak of tolerance, but what they practice is anything but. If you disagree with them—whether it be on issues like gender identity, abortion, or marriage—you are labeled a bigot or a hateful person. This hypocrisy is one of the reasons I generally avoid liberals. The constant moral superiority and lack of respect for differing opinions are exhausting and toxic to genuine dialogue.

In the teachings of the LDS Church, we are encouraged to "stand in holy places" (D&C 87:8). This means not just physically, but spiritually and ideologically. Surrounding myself with those who openly promote liberal ideologies would pull me away from the holy standards that the gospel sets for us. I would rather associate with those who share my values of faith, family, and freedom—principles that liberalism today actively works to dismantle.

Protecting My Faith and My Freedom

Choosing where I spend my time and money is about more than just avoiding personal discomfort. It’s about making a statement against the encroachment of ideologies that seek to undermine the freedoms and principles that America was founded on—principles that are deeply aligned with Christian doctrine. For instance, James Madison, one of the Founding Fathers and an advocate of religious freedom, argued that religious liberty is paramount for a free society. Today’s liberalism, with its aggressive push for conformity on issues like gender and sexuality, seeks to undermine this religious liberty by forcing believers like me to not only tolerate but celebrate lifestyles that I believe are sinful.

Supporting businesses that display Pride flags would, in effect, be endorsing a movement that has been used to attack people of faith. Whether through lawsuits against Christian bakers, florists, or the indoctrination of children in public schools, the LGBTQ+ agenda has become a weapon to force Christians into submission. I cannot, in good conscience, support a movement that seeks to destroy the very freedoms that allowed me to practice my faith and express my beliefs freely.

Conclusion

In a world where the lines between right and wrong are becoming increasingly blurred, it is more important than ever to stand firm in our faith and values. I choose not to frequent businesses that fly Pride flags because I believe in a moral order ordained by God, and I will not support movements that seek to dismantle that order. Moreover, I avoid surrounding myself with liberals who promote ideologies that, in my view, are destructive to both society and my personal spiritual growth.

By standing firm in my choices, I am taking a small but meaningful stand for the principles that I believe will ultimately lead to a better, more God-fearing society. My faith, my conscience, and my commitment to truth guide these decisions, and I encourage others who feel the same to join me in this quiet but powerful act of resistance.

Citations:

No comments: