Friday, October 25, 2024

I Do Not Frustrate the Grace of God: Christ's Sacrifice Over the Law

I Do Not Frustrate the Grace of God: Christ's Sacrifice Over the Law

By Bobby Darvish - darvishintelligence.blogspot.com 

As an Iranian-American ex-Muslim, now a Christian conservative member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, my journey to faith has been deeply intertwined with the understanding of grace, law, and Christ’s ultimate sacrifice. One verse that has particularly resonated with me is found in Paul’s letter to the Galatians: "I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain" (Galatians 2:21). This powerful statement speaks not only to my personal transformation but also to the essence of Christian faith—the supremacy of grace over the law.

The Law Versus Grace: My Experience in Islam

Having grown up in a Muslim society, I witnessed firsthand how the law was seen as the path to righteousness. In Islam, Sharia law dominates every aspect of life. Whether through daily prayers, fasting, or various rituals, Muslims are taught that following these prescribed laws is the key to salvation. The idea is that salvation is earned through works and adherence to the law. However, this system of works, for all its discipline and outward piety, left me spiritually unfulfilled and constantly questioning my worthiness before God.

Islam’s focus on law mirrors the legalism that Paul confronted in his letter to the Galatians. Many Jews in Paul's day believed that adherence to the Mosaic Law was necessary for righteousness, even after accepting Christ. Yet, Paul’s teaching was radical: righteousness does not come through the law, but through faith in Jesus Christ and the grace He offers. As Paul puts it, if righteousness could be gained through the law, then Christ’s death would have been meaningless. This verse became my revelation of freedom from the shackles of a works-based salvation system like Islam.

The Grace of Christ: A New Beginning

When I first encountered the gospel of Jesus Christ, the concept of grace was both foreign and liberating. In Islam, Allah is distant and his mercy is arbitrary; there is no assurance of salvation even after following the law. The Quran constantly urges believers to adhere to commandments, yet it offers no certainty of forgiveness or grace. The fear of divine punishment is ever-present, and life becomes an endless attempt to balance good deeds with bad deeds.

Contrast this with the teachings of the New Testament, where we learn that Christ’s atonement has already paid the price for our sins. The grace of God, not our works, is what brings salvation. Paul’s words in Galatians 2:21 emphasize that the gift of grace should not be rejected or frustrated by returning to a system of law-keeping. This is a profound truth that I embraced when I became a Christian. No longer do I need to fear that I am not doing enough to earn God's love. Jesus Christ has done it all.

The Law of Moses and Christ's Fulfillment

One might ask, if the law does not save us, then why was it given? The answer is found in Christ's own teachings and in the writings of the apostles. The Mosaic Law was a tutor, a guide, to bring us to Christ (Galatians 3:24). It served its purpose by showing humanity its need for a Savior, as no one could perfectly keep the law. In my own experience with Islamic law, I came to the same realization—no matter how hard I tried, I could never live up to the law’s demands. This struggle is universal, not just confined to the Mosaic or Islamic law. Human nature is fallen, and no amount of good works can repair that broken relationship with God. Only Christ, through His atoning sacrifice, can bridge that gap.

In LDS doctrine, we also affirm that the law of Moses was a precursor to the higher law of Christ. The Book of Mormon teaches, "Behold, the law is fulfilled that was given unto Moses" (3 Nephi 15:5). The teachings of Jesus Christ surpass the old law because they are rooted in His grace and sacrifice. The emphasis is no longer on external observance, but on the internal change of heart that comes through accepting Christ as our Redeemer.

The Freedom of Grace in Christ

The freedom that grace brings is not a license to sin or disregard God’s commandments. Rather, it is a recognition that while we strive to live holy lives, we do so knowing that it is Christ’s righteousness that covers us. This understanding brings immense peace and security in our relationship with God. As Paul says, "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God" (Ephesians 2:8).

For me, leaving behind the strict legalism of Islam for the grace found in Christianity was life-changing. It is not that I no longer care about living righteously, but now I do so out of love and gratitude for the Savior, rather than fear of punishment. Christ’s sacrifice is not in vain—it is the foundation of my faith, my hope, and my salvation.

Conclusion: Christ’s Sacrifice and the LDS Perspective

As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I find harmony in Paul’s teachings on grace and the LDS doctrine of obedience to God’s commandments. We believe in living righteously, but we do so knowing that it is by grace we are saved, “after all we can do” (2 Nephi 25:23). This scripture has often been misinterpreted as promoting a works-based salvation, but in reality, it aligns with Paul’s message. We do all we can, but in the end, it is Christ’s grace that redeems us.

I am grateful every day that I no longer frustrate the grace of God by seeking righteousness through the law, whether it be the Islamic Sharia or any other legalistic system. Instead, I embrace the grace of Jesus Christ, knowing that His death and resurrection are the ultimate source of my salvation.

References:

  • The Holy Bible, Galatians 2:21
  • The Holy Bible, Galatians 3:24
  • The Holy Bible, Ephesians 2:8
  • The Book of Mormon, 2 Nephi 25:23
  • The Book of Mormon, 3 Nephi 15:5

No comments: