Thursday, August 22, 2024

Why I Rejected Both Sunni and Shia Islam: A Personal Journey to Christianity

Why I Rejected Both Sunni and Shia Islam: A Personal Journey to Christianity

Growing up in a secular Iranian-American family, I was free to explore different beliefs. Yet, despite this freedom, I found myself drawn to Islam during my college years. I practiced with fervor, even taking on leadership roles within the Muslim community. But in 2013, I made a significant and life-changing decision: I left Islam. My departure was not sudden or impulsive; it was the result of years of inner conflict, reflection, and spiritual awakening.

The Monolingual Arab God of War

One of the most significant reasons for my departure was my growing discomfort with the nature of the god I was worshipping. Both Sunni and Shia Islam, along with their Sufi forms, revolve around a deity who, as I came to see it, is more concerned with war, domination, and control than with love, mercy, and compassion. This god, who is venerated in a single language—Arabic—seemed to me a reflection of a monolithic, monolingual culture that demands submission rather than inspiring voluntary devotion.

I could no longer reconcile the image of Allah as a god of war with my understanding of a loving and compassionate Creator. The emphasis on jihad, both in its literal and figurative forms, was a constant reminder of the aggressive nature of this deity. The idea of spreading faith through force, coercion, and violence became increasingly incompatible with my growing belief in a God who values free will and peace.

The Prophet's Example: A Stumbling Block

The life of the Prophet Muhammad also became a significant stumbling block for me. As I studied his life more closely, I was troubled by his polygamy, his treatment of women, and his participation in battles that led to the deaths of many. The idea that Muhammad could be considered the "perfect man" and a model for all humanity was something I could no longer accept.

In contrast, the figure of Jesus Christ stood out to me as someone who lived a life of purity, love, and non-violence. Jesus never killed anyone, never forced anyone to believe, and never used his position for personal gain. His message was one of forgiveness, compassion, and self-sacrifice—values that resonated deeply with me.

Rejecting the Worship of Dead Arabs

Another critical issue for me was the veneration of historical figures within Islam. Whether it was the Shia reverence for the Imams or the Sunni respect for the Sahaba (companions of the Prophet), I found the practice increasingly troubling. To me, this seemed like a form of idolatry, a worship of dead Arabs who, despite their historical significance, were still just men—flawed and fallible.

I could not understand why I was expected to revere these figures to such an extent. The idea of asking for their intercession or considering them as intermediaries between myself and God felt wrong. In Christianity, I found a direct relationship with God through Jesus Christ, who is not only alive but also divine. This direct connection was something I had longed for but never found in Islam.

Finding Jesus: A New Beginning

The turning point for me was when I encountered the teachings of Jesus Christ in a new and profound way. I realized that Christianity offered everything I had been searching for: a God of love, a Savior who embodies purity and selflessness, and a faith that encourages personal growth and direct communication with the Divine.

Leaving Islam was not easy. It meant breaking away from a community and a belief system that had been a significant part of my life. But it was also liberating. I no longer had to wrestle with the cognitive dissonance that had plagued me for years. I could finally embrace a faith that aligned with my deepest convictions and offered a path of peace, love, and eternal life.

My journey from Islam to Christianity has been a challenging but rewarding one. I am grateful for the lessons I learned along the way, but I am even more thankful for the grace that led me to the truth. In Jesus Christ, I have found the true God—one who does not demand submission through fear or force but invites us to love and be loved in return.


Citations:

  1. Qur'an and Hadiths on Jihad and the Prophet's Battles:

    • Qur'an: Surah 9:5, Surah 8:39, Surah 47:4
    • Sahih Bukhari: Volume 4, Book 52, Hadith 220, Volume 5, Book 59, Hadith 459
    • Sahih Muslim: Book 19, Hadith 4292
  2. Comparison of Jesus and Muhammad:

    • New Testament: Matthew 5:44, Luke 23:34
    • Sirat Rasul Allah by Ibn Ishaq: The Life of Muhammad (Translated by A. Guillaume), pp. 675-676
  3. The Concept of Intercession in Shia and Sunni Islam:

    • Al-Kafi by Muhammad ibn Ya'qub al-Kulayni: Volume 1, Hadith 367
    • Sahih Bukhari: Volume 5, Book 58, Hadith 227

This journey has led me to a place of peace, where I no longer feel the need to worship a distant, monolingual god of war or to venerate dead figures from a bygone era. Instead, I have found a living faith in a God who loves and redeems all who come to Him.

No comments: